Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Fiber Untitled 1

A couple of weeks ago I was at a knitting meetup and decided I'd rather ball up some handspun and measure it than actually knit. Low attention span. Again, I was surprised by how much more l liked it balled up. It showed me more of what it will do, knitted. Enough for a shawl.
This is the merino I spun at the Pendleton event, using their merino top. Wow. Really spingy stuff after setting the twist. My irregular spinning was in no doubt because of all the talking I did. At least that's what I'm telling myself.
This past weekend, 21 people showed up at the monthly Portland Spinnerati event at the library. Really pleased with how that's going. That said, I'm still learning the social behavior of spinners. It's different than knitters, but mostly because we've got this big wheel in front of us. Other things too. Not sure yet though how to describe. Comments from the Spinning Gallery?

New patterns emerging in my life: melding of professional and fiber art life. Tune in for further developments...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

typo alert. "enough for a shaw"

In my limited experience I find that knitters chat and laugh, spinners mostly spin. Spinners are often more political. Your observations corroborate or no?

Melissa Barton said...

I think you've got it spot-on. Trying to get folks to listen to my welcome talk each month is really hard. Gotta work on that.

Anonymous said...

Spinners in my experience (may be dated) are more philosophical and laid-back. Less prone to being "programmed" in any way. But then again, things have changed and the more spinners there are I think the more they expect there to be a "right" way to do things, which is a factor that shifts group dynamics a lot. I don't know if that made sense. I am formatting a hard drive and my brain is feeling lame.