Friday, January 08, 2010

Five Eighty Four

That's the blog post number this is. Wow. New Year, new stuff made. Even with a busy business life, I've been knitting and spinning like a maniac. Truly.

This is going to be a photo content heavy post; the work speaks for itself.

I have started and am halfway up the back of the Forever Sweater. It's a little hard to get each little red crown perfect, but I've actually gotten that part memorized. I've actually finished something I started last year with mixed results. It's the February Lady Sweater (above), or to you knitters, the "FLS" I made it a bit cropped when I felt the weight of the yarn and that's fine but I wish I had lengthened the sleeves a little. You can see in the neckline that I used some ribbon to stabilize and as always, so glad I did!

Finally got to use these handmade porcelain buttons I've been saving.

There were the 2 hats from Vogue Fall 2009. This one below was knit in wool/bamboo sock yarn for the lovely, Dr. Kate.
This is mine, knit in some alpaca that's been sitting in my stash forever. This is the hat I pull on when I'm waiting for a bus and the wind is cold. The second I put it on, all is well in the world! (Oh, and that's a reversible cable scarf I knit a couple of years ago, also in alpaca).

Hmmmm. Then there's the two pairs of mittens. This first pair I started years ago and "shamed" myself into finishing. They came out rather narrow because I was insisting using a yarn that was too lightweight, but I have narrow hands, so that works out.
And then there were these mittens I knit in 3 insane days for Petra. They're really long and gladly, she likes them that way. I do want to knit them again. Knitting plaid is fun.
And then most recently, I threw gauge caution to the wind AGAIN and used a slightly too heavy yarn for these End Paper Mitts and so they came out really long in the hand. That's working out for me as well. I still have my fingertips available for my phone and yet they nearly cover my hand.

There's the spinning, as I try and get the hand of spinning more Worsted weight. There's also some more of other stuff I've spun MORE of to be able to make my projects of choice.

So, yeah. Folks ask how I get so much done and all I can say is that I work at home. Knitting and spinning are my breaks of choice. Oh, but that reminds me: Weaving.

Yeah, another post for that one.

5 comments:

ColorJoy LynnH said...

Looks like you have been cranking, grrl! I have actually done a lot of smaller projects and have photos but no time to develop them.

The good part of that problem is that I'm busy moving data/programs to my new laptop. Life is good. Starting 2010 with only a few weeks of VISTA is a great way to start.

Diane in Chico said...

Terrific. All nicely done. You're an inspiration.

PNWBookGirl said...

Lots of beautiful finished projects!

LaLa said...

So so pretty! All I can say is that I wish I knew what you did as a job! What a great way to stay at home and make money to support your hobby! Keep crankin' em out - I love your blog!

Melissa Barton said...

DevotedDiva, if you go to the link on the top right side of the page, you can see what I do, consult ;-)