Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I Finally Did it

As many of you know, my dad had a phase of spinning. It was after he had lost most of his site after some eye surgery. I made some beautiful yarn. His resources for fiber were really limited, but he turned out some great natural colored yarn. I have a couple of sweaters he knit from that yarn and some that I've over-dyed, as you can see in the hank to the left above.

Thing is, I've really gone more to the sleek worsted style of spinning and have had a really hard time replicating the woolen style of spinning that he was so good at. I love the light, airy quality it has. The ply is really angled nicely. The whole package.

Last night I gave it another try. I pulled out some wool/mohair blend that I picked up at black sheep. I set my ratios for a fast spin and I just let 'er rip. As I finished two bobbins of singles in about an hour, I wasn't really quite sure of what I'd come up with. It was only after I plied them that I thought, Holy cr*p! I've done it!

So, here you go. Dad's is on the left and mine is on the right. Oh, happy day.

Now off to finish preparations for the multitude of "end of season" happenings.

3 comments:

Bridget Pilloud said...

You rock. It's so beautiful and even and glorious, and i bet it will knit up like a dream.

Thinkin' your dad is really proud of you right now

Nigel Pottle said...

Good job. You sound proud and your dad's memory is well-served. Congratulations.

FiberQat said...

Yay! It's so great when you put so much effort into trying to do it right and it works. Dad's channelling through your hands now.